Port of Portland has posted this announcement for temporary Environmental Technicians working at Willamette Cove.
These positions are excellent entry points for individuals interested in environmental work. The positions include OSHA Health and Safety Training (cost of training is covered), personal protective equipment (PPE) and a $500 stipend for successful completion of the OSHA Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) 40-hour training will be provided by the Port of Portland.
Temporary – starts late April (up to 4 months)
Full-time (40 hours per week)
Location – North Portland
This position will assist with collection of soil samples at a contaminated site.
All personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided and will be covered in training.
No previous environmental experience is required.
All necessary training will be provided.
This entry level position is an opportunity to gain experience and skills – potentially leading to future employment opportunities in the environmental field.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent preferred
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement conditions
- Ability to safely perform soil sampling activities following detailed instructions
- Ability to pass pre-employment background checks and drug screening
- Good driving record with less than 3 violations in the last 3 years
- Preferred – 1 year of general labor experience
- OSHA Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) 40-hour training – This OSHA-required health and safety training includes 40 hours of online training and up to 3 days of on-the-job training. Course fees for the online portion of the training will be paid by employer and access to the self-paced training will be provided to the candidate. Time for online training will be prior to employment on the candidate’s own time. On-the-job training will be completed after hire.
- OSHA Fit for Duty Medical Clearance – This OSHA required medical exam will be completed prior to beginning work. The cost for the medical exam will be covered by the employer. Time for the exam will be prior to employment on the candidate’s own time. The exam includes a vision test, respiratory test, and other checks to establish a candidate’s ability to wear a respirator and other personal protective equipment.
Typical Work Day
- Check in and participate in safety meeting
- Work with hand tools to collect soil samples from specific locations and depths
- Ensure the work area is always safe
- Perform other duties as assigned
Follow the link below:
Contact Matthew Grothe (firstname.lastname@example.org)